Thursday, September 1, 2011

Napoleonic Flames of War


This isn’t a very well known game, at least to my knowledge so I figured I would spend some time today to talk a little about it while I am between rounds in a battle.

The basic format is based around the popular Flames of War, a WWII table top game using miniatures. It is still in its trial forms and the rule set that I use is only one of five different rule sets while the group developing it works out the historically specific rules. Though you can tell that the rules are rough, I think they do their job well and have made for a multitude of gaming nights with epic battles and glorious victories.

As mentioned, this is a miniatures game and is meant to have actual models to represent the men that were engaged in such conflicts. To be representational of the time period would be difficult to do as there would be literally hundred of soldiers to model. NFOW uses a scale system that is only meant to represent the numbers of men and to make modeling easy on the wallet and on the players. Because I like to test out games before I invest in them I have been using paper pieces to proxy the various pieces.

Being a fan of large conflicts and really wanting to get a feel for the dynamic battles of thousands of men, I scaled down the pieces even more, allowing twice the number to be used on the table at once. This has provided intense battles and a better sense of the multitude of men clashing with musket, bayonet and saber.

The next couple of posts will be focused on units that I have, the pieces that represent them and the various battles that have been played so far.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in trying out this game or just having a look at the rules I shall provide the link to the forum. http://forumnapofow.free.fr/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment