Monday, September 5, 2011

Forces of the Assyrian Empire

So I have had the itch to do some ancient warfare and with the discovery of Hoplon I have really wanted to get some pieces on the table and go a few rounds to see what would happen. I discovered two things about the game today. One that it is really quite deep and takes some time and two, that the siblings do not have the patience for the new system. Oh well, guess there was only one way to figure that one out in the end.

Anyways, last night I was trying to figure out how best to go about making pieces. I busted out a ruler, a pencil and a clean piece of paper; along with the converted measurements I would need and set to work. After drawing the lines for eighteen pieces I wondered if there would be an easier way. Wouldn’t you know it; I looked at a word document, saw the insert table tab and wondered. Turns out I can make all the pieces I want, in neat, tidy groupings with word. Gee, I wish I had considered that route back when I was making the Napoleonic pieces. Anyways, without further a due, here are some pictures of the pieces. They are shaded red so that it will be easier to distinguish them on the battlefield with the camera.

Starting with the leader or leaders of the army, we have the Sub-General unit that is representing a light chariot. The ‘BIF 2’ is the command score of the unit and it applies to various rolls in the game. I only use one at the moment but have the second for when I split the forces as I plan on running a hammer and anvil type tactic with the footsloggers and the fast chariots.

Next we have the She Shepe chariots to cover my flanks. There are eight pieces here though I can potentially field up to thirty six of them in a single army. They each have a bow and are able to shoot in any direction, making them great for hitting the flanks of the enemy. 


 
Onward, to the infantry of the army. Here is a combination unit of Asharittu Shock troops that are swordsmen and Asharittu Archers, that act as their support. This is the way that the army list requires them to be fielded and I would probably do similar if they weren’t as it is a good support element.

Here are the Hupshu Militia units that are a combination of Spearmen and Archers. You’ll notice that the pieces are a bit bigger than the Asharittu Shock as they are all loose order units compared to the Shock being close order. Again this is how the army list requires them to be fielded but I think they are a nice combination.

The battle itself was quite crazy due to trying to teach three people and learn at the same time. Managed to get a few rounds of shooting in once the forces closed ranks and found that the chariots can deliver an impressive amount of damage in the game. Didn't get to try the melee due to time constraints but there is always next time. Hope you enjoyed the pictures and thanks for stopping by. 




No comments:

Post a Comment